some brief updates on life, music, and vegetarianism

My son turns 4 in about 3 weeks. Amazing. That means it's been nearly 5 years since I lived a single day without thinking about our child. Some thoughts are wonderful. Some are maddening. Some are frightening. But for roughly 1700 days now, I've lived life as a father, rather than just as some guy.


I changed the strings on my guitar last night for the first time in roughly 5 years. Actually, back before we were even married, Erin had bought me a package of Elixir guitar strings for my birthday. Right around the time I had stopped playing. I've kept the strings ever since, and finally had occasion to use them last night. It was tough....I never ever have liked changing out guitar strings....but it still felt good.



Because of the example, testimony, and recommendation of our friends Emily & Chase, we bought a rice cooker this weekend. Black and Decker. 14 cups (cooked) capacity with a steamer basket so you can steam veggies while the rice cooks. Non stick removable cooking bowl. Already used it, and I'm very excited. Finally, a kitchen gadget I really feel like I'm going to get real value out of. Unlike the waffle maker, toaster oven, sandwich press, and hard-to-use electric can opener that have graced our kitchen at some point.


12 days with no meat. But plenty of rice, broccoli, zucchini, squash, ramen noodles, pasta, baked potatoes (dan quayle spelling), veggie pizza, a veggie burrito from Salsarita's, the veggie plate at Shono's in the City, homemade whatever-I-can-think-to-put-on-it salads, tofu (marinated in heinz 57 sauce this weekend), peppers, and Mello Yellow....a staple vegetarian drink.

2 comments:

Mrs. Jake said...

I love our rice cooker! You can steam fish in it as well. Oh wait, no you can't. Sorry.

jason said...

yeah, very funny. =)
no, we've already steamed broccoli, carrots, zucchini, and squash in it. and the other night, i actually made fried rice for the first time ever. YUM!