my friend is gone...

Just in the last two days, I found out that a good friend of mine from Kentucky committed suicide in September. We were good friends, although not necessarily really close friends. I'd known him since 1996, when I was serving at a church in Kentucky while still in college.

Over the last 9 years, from the time I moved to Knoxville in 1998, he faithfully called me about once every 3 months, and even drove down to visit a couple of times. He was very much a country-boy, talked with a deep accent, always drove a pickup truck, chewed tobacco, and was an avid Florida State Seminoles fan.

Not really knowing what had happened, I found the online guest book hosted by the funeral home that handled his burial. I emailed a person from the guest book who seemed to have known him well over the last few years.

It seems that he killed himself primarily over a failed relationship with a girl he had dated for only 2-3 months, but simply could not get over. All evidence points to the fact that his suicide was not premeditated, but more of a rash decision as a way to get back at this girl. I'm hesitant to provide all the details, but that definitely seemed to be the case.

I'm just dumbfounded, really. Although I'd only seen him twice in the last 9 years, I'll miss this friend very much. He was always a great guy, encouraging, was very active at his church in Lexington, Ky, outgoing, talkative. I understand there were no signs of mental health issues, no sickness. I just don't get it. And I'm very sorry he's gone. I'll miss you, David.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Often I wonder what road I might be on had I not said yes to Christ. I pray for you, your friend, and all he knew.

Anonymous said...

wow... that's really sad man. Suicide is such a tough thing... it's hard to find any comfort at all when it happens. There just aren't any words.