the brothers solomon

My wife and I have differing tastes in movies. I'm really into movies that are typically at least 2 hours long, have a plot that forces you to watch the movie with no interruptions, and really leave you speechless when they're over - think Braveheart, The Last of the Mohicans, JFK, The Bourne Ultimatum, 3:10 to Yuma, Gladiator, stuff like that. Now, I like other types of dramas, comedies and so forth, but these are my favorite types of things to watch.


Erin is more into cute, funny, shorter, easier to watch movies. She likes comedies and romance movies more than I do. And if the direction of the movie isn't pretty obvious by about the 20 minute mark, she gets frustrated and doesn't really want to get a headache trying to figure it all out. She's more into Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, and Ben Stiller type of stuff.

So when she came home from Blocksbuster this weekend with "The Brother's Solomon", a ridiculous looking comedy written by and starring Will Forte from SNL sort-of-fame, I rolled my eyes, snickered, and vowed to watch the movie and simply not like it. I mean, Will Forte plays a pretty good "McGruber", does an okay impression of President Bush, and totally sucks as "The Falconer", but the feature role in a movie? Please.

Give me a second. I'm still picking myself up off the floor. I actually laughed during the movie. Quite a bit, actually. And fairly hard. I would have laughed more had I not spent the first 20-30 minutes determined not to like it. It's corny, over-the-top, and definitely an SNL kind of flick, but there are some really awesome one-liner kind of stuff, and it all finally just bowls you over so you can't help but to laugh.

Yes, I'm actually recommending you give "The Solomon Brothers" a try. And I already slapped myself before typing that, so I really do mean it.

No comments: