Topic #7 - The Randomness Of Life

I've always been a person to notice the randomness of things in life. I often say things that cause the people around me to say, "that was kind of random." But life IS, in many ways, totally random. And I sort of think it's by God's design. Just think about a few things:

A person who has always been healthy, works out, and eats right can contract cancer....while a person down the street who never exercises and has smoked their whole life can live to be 82.

Some people live in the midwest and have never once seen a tornado....others may live only a couple of counties away and have seen many, and possibly had homes destroyed.

A person can grow up in a wonderful Christian home with awesome God loving parents, and rebel against God and never truly believe...another person can grow up in a terrible environment, have no positive influences, and end up becoming a devout follower of Christ.

You can plant 100 trees in an open field. Some will never grow. Some will grow and die. Some will grow and grow and flourish for decades.

I can buy a fictional Elmore Leonard book at McKay's bookstore for $2.50, take it home to read it, and when I open it, an airplane ticket from Boise to Denver, and a one-day ski lift ticket from Sun Valley, Idaho from 02/25/2007 can fall out of the middle of the book. Oh yes, this is true. It just happened this week. I would absolutely love to know the history is this paperback book. It was copyrighted in 1989, but when was it actually printed? Who bought it first? Where? How many people have owned it and read it? How in the world did it get from either Idaho or Colorado to McKay's bookstore in Knoxville, then into my own home?

I don't know who you are, John Murphy, but I hope you're flight went well, and that you enjoyed the book. I'm only 2 chapters in, but I like it so far.

3 comments:

Meriam said...

I've brought home two book only to open them and find the names of people I go to church with. Wow!

Anonymous said...

how cool is that!

Shelley said...

That is one of the best things about used books. Not only do you get the journey of the book's story, but the book has it's own story.