Topic #12 - New Year's Resolutions

I love the idea of New Year's Resolutions. A fresh start. A new beginning. A chance to try something new. A motivation to acccomplish something difficult. An opportunity to mold your life in a new and better direction.

I just don't really like coming up with them, writing them down, and then following through.

However, they have become almost as necessary in our society as washing your underwear and engaging in small talk with other humans - things which many men only began doing in the last couple of decades.

So, with the suffocating pressure of society upon me, here are my resolutions:

  1. Hike a trail in the Smoky Mountains that I've never hiked before...minimum 2 miles.
  2. Throw darts at Spicy's on Emory road at least twice a month
  3. Reduce my "soda" consumption to no more than one beverage each day
  4. Begin walking/jogging 2 miles at least twice a week
  5. Commit to the previous two resolutions, or commit to actually buying a larger size of pants
  6. Floss my teeth...um, at least once...each month?
  7. Try my best to make the most smart-assed comments on all the blogs I read. As of now, sometimes I only have the 2nd or 3rd most smart-assed comments. And that blows.
  8. Stop eating anything by Chef Boyardee. Period. For some reason, about twice a year Spaghetti-O's sound really good to me. Then I eat them. Then I barf.
  9. Listen to more worship music and less rap music. This has been a long time struggle.
  10. Pray less while laying on my back half asleep in bed...and pray more when I'm fully awake, on my knees, and actually focused on having a conversation with God.

They're not extraordinary, I know. But they're real. And they're attainable. And that's what counts.

Have you made resolutions? Are they real and attainable? Are they important enough to follow through on? Feel free to share them. I've been told it helps to have accountability in these types of things. And if you'll take time to comment, I'll be sure to put forth my best effort in regards to my 7th resolution.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Megan Adair said...

Woohoo for the new year! #9 is something I've been working on for a while, too. I've actually done pretty well with it, and I can tell that there are differences when I'm mainly listening to rap in my car versus music about Jesus. But sometimes I need to turn off 89.1 because they say stupid things.

Chef Boyardee is yuckygrossickypoo! Stop it!

My basic resolution is to go with my determination and passion. I think I blogged about it...