Vacations and Sparklers

I just found out this week that I'll be going on my first actual vacation in over 7 years. Truly exciting! This is not to say I haven't had "vacation days" to enjoy in that time, just that I've not actually taken a full week of vacation and gone somewhere special since 2000. Crazy, huh?

My wife and I have both taken off the week of Labor Day in September. We're going to Folly Island (about 20 minutes from Charleston, SC) for about 5 days and using her dad's Holiday Inn reward points to stay for FREE. Her parents will be keeping Eli for us. This will actually be Erin and mine's first actual trip together of any kind (other than Gatlinburg ... which doesn't count) since we were married....call it our belated honeymoon if you will. I'm pretty pumped up. The rest of our days off that week will be spent doing stuff with Eli - we'll probably go to Dollywood, IMAX in Chattanooga, the Zoo, stuff like that.

Eli held a lighted sparkler last night for the first time and totally loved it. You know, when you're 3 years old and about 38" tall, a flaming sparkler can be pretty darn scary, ya know? I'm not even crazy about holding them at 31 yrs and 70" tall. Those stupid sparks always land on my arm and freak me out. That's a reasonable price for celebrating freedom, I guess.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

It is liberating to know that you have a real vacation coming up!
Take full advantage of it!
In the meantime, enjoy those "sparkler" moments in life.

bill said...

hey man. lunch was good today. lets do it again.

by the way...(almost)27 and 71" tall and i don't dig the sparkler thing either.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds exciting. I'm glad that you and Erin can get away for a bit. You deserve it!

Kari Jo